Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hang on, there's a creat-chter in the cabinet

Y'all, I totally forgot this story! It's a quickie, but a goodie.

Years ago, while I was still living with my mother, she mentioned to me she had been hearing something in the kitchen cabinets lately. (Don't worry, y'all, it was in the so-high kitchen cabinets that we don't even put things up there.)

I blew it off, thinking she was just hearing things. You know how you hear tree limbs scraping the roof and you think it's an animal? Or you hear an animal on the roof and think it's in the attic? Well, I figured it was something on the roof.

Well, one evening, I was chit-chatting with my Yankee friend, and all of a sudden, I hear it. It sounded about the size of a raccoon, running and scratching in the cabinets.

"Stay on the phone with me for a minute."

"Why?"

"I hear a creat-chter in the cabinets."

"A what?" He sounded very disgusted.

"A creat-chter. You know, something living that is not human, but you don't kow what it is." I didn't think he would be so put-off by this. It's not like I said ain't.

"I don't think I can ever talk to you again."

Moral of the story, y'all: you can take the Southern out of a voice, but you can't take the Southern out of a vocabulary.

P.S. We never figured out what the creat-chter was.