Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Now that I'm all grown up

I decided to get ready for my housecleaning today by going through an old journal. (Read: I purposefully distracted myself.) I started keeping a journal my senior year of high school and basically quit my second year of college. I mostly wrote about the boys I wanted to date and all the ills that go along with being old enough and mature enough to do certain things, but not being allowed to do them. Or not having enough money to do them. I would also write some rough poetry.

I found this line, dated July 2, 2002.

Sometimes I wonder if college is worse than high school ... but then adulthood can be stupid too.

Priceless.

High school was HORRIBLE for me, aside from the last couple of months. I just did not want to be there. And I don't really want to go back there in memories right now because, as I have said, it was HORRIBLE. I remember begging my mother to let me be home schooled my senior year. Most of my friends were already in college. I didn't feel like I had a place. Don't get me wrong: I had friends. I had some really good friends. And I had some really good times with those really good friends. I just felt like I could make better use of my time not having two free periods and taking a couple of other classes I didn't need to graduate. (Which equaled half the school day in total.)

College was awesome. Eventually. It started off pretty rough. Although I had some more really good times living in the dorm, I now realize (eight years later) that having my own private living space was absolutely necessary. At the time I committed that quote to paper (with ink, of course), I was living at my parent's house, going to community college. I blossomed at community college, but I learned, although I didn't realize it, the early college years are not much different from high school. You have slightly more freedom, but you aren't really old enough to do the REALLY fun things.

I have written about some of my favorite college memories, and there are plenty more to be written, so I won't go into that now.

But adulthood - that's not much fun either. At least, right now it isn't.