Sunday, November 1, 2015

A tribute to my grandparents

Grandparents are special, y'all. I have been blessed to know and remember all four of mine. And my relationship with all four of them was so different, yet instilled in me so much.

My Grandaddy - I had the shortest amount of time with him, as he passed away due to complications from Parkinson's disease sixteen years ago. In our time together, he was probably one of the biggest influences in my love for Auburn. He taught me the value of hard work and sacrificing yourself so your future generations don't have to experience such hardships.

My Papa - He taught me unconditional love for his family. He may not have approved of everything I did in my life, but I felt as if he trusted my judgment. And I know if I royally messed up, he would have been there to pick up the pieces. He showed me leadership and how to be a class act at all times. (Not that I always use that wisdom.)

My Granny - She taught me the art of loving others through food. Food was always the center of our time together growing up. She nurtured my love for crafting and creativity (even if she didn't approve of how I always expressed it, ahem, tattoos) and she gave me my sass. And she would always be there to keep me together when I had a broken heart - whether it was health problems, boys, friends, or some random person doing me wrong.

My Gamma - Her kitchen was like the brain of the house. All home operations came out of there - meal preparation, planning, preparing. She showed me that an ideal housewife was way more than a woman who sat at home and did nothing but spend her husband's money. She set the standard for my wifely aspirations - keep the home organized and running, nourish your family, be available for others in need.

With Gamma's passing in January, I am now without any of my grandparents. As much as I would love just a little more time to pick their brains for wisdom, encouragement, and instruction, I feel the power of them all together, all of their energies united for their loved ones still on this earth.

I hope I can honor their memories and carry on their legacy in a way that embodies their spirits and would make them proud. And I am so grateful for all they gave me so I have the opportunity to do so.